Friday, September 9, 2011

Hello Vegas


I will be leaving for Las Vegas (Henderson, NV to be exact) in a few minutes! Why? To compete in the Ironman 70.3 World Championship this Sunday (Sept. 11). I was able to earn a qualifying spot back in July while racing at Vineman and thought I shouldn't pass up the chance to participate in this race, so I took the slot and now here I am about to leave for Vegas. Compared to my days leading up to Vineman, I feel more prepared for this race physically. I have no major injuries and have had a good taper over the past week. Other than getting through the rush hour LA traffic while driving to Vegas, my main concern for the weekend is the hot Nevada heat. This is about how I believe the sun will appear to me during the race:


Because I live in a coastal area, the majority of my training and racing is done in a cool climate. I have tried to train during the hottest parts of the day over the past month, but I'm not sure it has been enough to prepare me for the race day conditions. I guess I'll just to stay on my game with hydration and see how it goes. The good news is the Sunday forecast is showing a high of 88F in Henderson compared to the 110F highs over the past couple weeks.

I will try to ignore the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" rule and have a nice race report following the race. So, remember to check back early next week

1 comment:

  1. Mark, good luck!!! I am so proud of you. I was proud to hear how you did at Vineman but had no idea about Vegas. Best of luck, can't wait to hear about the results.

    ReplyDelete