Friday, May 13, 2011

PV Half Marathon Preview

Tomorrow I will be racing in my first half marathon - the Palos Verdes Half Marathon.   Although I’m excited for the race, I don’t feel that I’m quite 100% prepared.  This will be my third consecutive weekend of racing, and as a result I haven’t had the opportunity to put in the distance over the past several weeks to prepare for a 13.1 mile run.  But, I’m still going to race.  I was previously signed up for a half marathon back in January, but missed that race because it ended up being in the middle of an extended ski trip I took to Utah and Wyoming (which by the way was well worth the DNS).  This time I am in town, so I have no excuse not to race.

My plan is to take it easy and not hurt myself.  My overall conditioning is definitely at a good place, but I am slightly concerned about how my legs will handle the 13.1 miles.  For this reason, I plan to leave my racing flats at home and instead wear my trainers for the added cushioning.  I am also going to try to hold back a little. I have a long season ahead and don’t want to overdo it at this point.  That being said, it’s likely that when the gun goes off my race instinct will kick in and my current idea of taking it easy will be long forgotten. We’ll see...

One thing that is exciting about this race is that it is in my ‘hood (sort of).  The race course will run along the shoreline of Palos Verdes, a route that I regularly ride during my triathlon training.  It’s a beautiful area with views like this…


And this…


Hopefully the morning fog will stay away, and the scenery will calm me when my knees start to hurt around mile 10 :/

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! So excited that I get to be your first follower and that I can keep up with your life. Good luck tomorrow - if I can run a half marathon, you certainly can, although your finishing time will beat mine by many, many minutes. I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete