Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Superseal Race Report

This past Sunday I raced Superseal in Coronado, CA...sort of. Mother Nature decided to bring a huge storm through Southern California, intent on ruining any plans for racing.  First, the swim was canceled due to a small craft double red flag warning.  The bike portion was then canceled on race morning due to 30+ mph wind gusts making riding rather dangerous.  In the end, the Olympic distance triathlon was reduced to a 2.9 mile sand run.  That's not quite what I had in mind when I signed up for this race, but I figured I had traveled down to San Diego to race, so I might as well take what I can get.

Just before the run, the sun started to come out and a rainbow formed.


I guess one of the main takeaways I got from this race is that triathletes look really dorky.  I was especially dorky looking with my extra cold weather gear on.


There were around 1300 people signed up for the race but only about 250 stuck around for the run.  Since I was in the elite division and I found out they were still giving out the prize money to the winners, I thought "Hey, maybe all the real pros went home and I can take their prize money". That wasn't the case.  Some fast dudes stuck around.  I like the picture of the start below.  I suggest clicking on it to see the big version.

Photo by Louis Roberto

I am smiling because I was happy to be off the sand.  Out of the 2.9 miles only 0.3 mile was on pavement.


Hanging out after the race with some other dorky looking triathletes, Steven and Mott.


I ended up placing 6th overall with a time of 16:51.  Click here to see my GPS data.

Up next is Wildflower Olympic on May 6th. This weekend I am excited to once again be traveling to Tucson, AZ for TriFest hosted by trisports.com. I'll be sure to post some picture from the Mt. Lemmon ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment